Can you consume Rice and Sugar when you are diabetic ?

 



Can you consume Rice and Sugar when you are diabetic ?

What is Diabetes?

    Diabetes is not a disease. Diabetes is a human made action or judgment that is misguided or wrong in food habits. As long as you are young the food consumed is digested without any difficulty. When you age your organs will have difficulty digesting food.

Steps of the digestive system

Food passes through 

  • Mouth
  • Esophagus
  • Stomach
  • Small Intestine
  • Colon ( Large Intestine)
  • Rectum

    If your body doesn't break down most of the food you eat into sugar (glucose), your blood sugar goes up,  your pancreas cannot release the required insulin. With diabetes, your body doesn’t make enough insulin or can’t use it as well. When there isn’t enough insulin or cells stop responding to insulin, too much blood sugar stays in your bloodstream. Over time, that can cause serious health problems, such as heart disease, vision loss, and kidney disease. Diabetes is a chronic (long-lasting) health condition that affects how your body turns food into energy. There isn’t a cure yet for diabetes, but losing weight, eating healthy food, and being active can really help. 

Other things you can do to help:

  • Take medicine as prescribed.
  • Get diabetes self-management education and support.
  • Make and keep health care appointments.

Does diabetes injure the kidneys

    Your kidneys cannot clean your blood properly if you have diabetes. Your body will retain more water and salt than it should, which can result in weight gain and ankle swelling. You may have protein in your urine. Also, waste materials will build up in your blood. Diabetes also may cause damage to nerves and also urinary tract infection. 

Diabetes self-management.

    All the food taken during young age ie till 35 years to 40 years are digested well. But at the age of 40 every organ in the digestive system is either weak or inefficient.  This should be understood and take food accordingly. The remedy for diabetic is not Allopathic medicines. Every allopathic medicine has multiple side effects. Hence we should find a suitable measure to get relief from diabetic. One of the main ingredients that shoots up sugar in blood is carbohydrates.  But every food contains carbohydrates. Out of which Rice has more percentage . We cannot and should not eliminate carbohydrates and should limit the intake and enhance consumption of other protein and minerals.

There are five easy methods to get rid of diabetic.

  • Do not skip breakfast
  • Minimize carbohydrates intake considerably.
  • Exercise regularly
  • Limit your food intake and eat food only when you feel hungry 
  • Avoid constipation.

My Personal Experience: 

    I want to share my personal experience, which I have succeeded after a decade. 

  • My day starts with taking a thyroid pill and then drinking 4 glasses (250 ml) of warm water. 
  • Walk about 1000 steps within my house. It will take 15 to 20 min which in turn will help me clear my stomach thereby one of the important goal for the day is achieved.
  • I take a cup of coffee with little sugar ( if you are coffee/tea lover do not ignore)
  • Breakfast is an important meal of the day, which I will not avoid. My breakfast is one boiled egg and 1 dosa or 2 idli or 2 slices of wheat bread (do not exceed the limit) I know the quantity is insufficient but I limit it to minimum.
  • After an hour or two I eat some fresh fruits like 1/2 apple,½ guava and two slices of papaya. Guava is an excellent fruit for constipation. I used to add two gooseberries in between.  
  • For lunch, I eat a few slices of cucumber as an appetizer. I prefer two varieties of vegetables, less than 200 grams each, either boiled or cooked. I also take some rice, about 100grams, so that I get some carbs for energy. Ensure quantity of rice is not exceeded. Finally I take a glass of buttermilk, it contains calcium to the extent of 250mg, which is very essential for my metabolism.
  • After about 90 minutes, I will feel hungry, which is a good sign, during which I munch a few peanuts. Then around early evening I eat 2 biscuits, either Marie gold or Digestive biscuits with a cup of green tea.
  • Then in the evening between 18:00 to 18:30 hours, I take a handful of nuts like almond, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, figs and dates which has good healthy fat. If I feel like taking some energy drinks I take a cup of sugar free boost or Horlicks. 
  • For dinner, I take cooked millets like fox tail millet, barnyard millet, sorghum millet, little millet etc.
  • Before hitting bed I take a cup of milk.

Do not ignore medicine till you are comfortable with your above food system. To ensure success, check your blood sugar in the lab before food and after food. It is a surprise to me my  sugar reading was 120/160 prior to this trial. After one month my blood sugar was 83/102. 

Conclusion

    By following the above disciplined food I could achieve taking the required vitamins and minerals. Easy digestion and blood sugar is well within the limit. Over a period of time I hope I can stop taking medications and still control my glucose levels.




No comments:

Post a Comment